Which driving licence will you obtain?
To obtain your driving licence, you often have to take a theory exam and always one or more practical driving exams at the CBR.
Car driving licence
Driving licence B is the driving licence for a passenger car. This driving licence requires you to take a theory exam and a practical exam. This driving licence also allows you to drive with a trailer up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 750 kg or 3,500 kg with the passenger car and trailer combined.
Did you receive your driving licence B, but are you not 18 yet? Then you are only allowed to drive in the Netherlands with a 2toDrive coach. With driving licence B you automatically receive driving licence AM. Then you may also drive a snorfiets, moped, speed pedelec or brommobiel. Even when you are not 18 yet.
- You may take the theory exam from the age of 16
- You may take the practical exam from the age of 17
- Until you are 18 you may only drive with a coach (2toDrive)
- From the age of 18 you may drive on your own
Motorcycle driving licence
Driving licence A is the driving licence for a motorcycle. This licence is divided into three categories: A1 is for the least powerful motorcycle, A2 for the middle category and A for the most powerful motorcycle. When obtaining a motorcycle licence for the first time, you have to take a theory exam and two practical exams.
Additional conditions may apply when you want to obtain a licence for a heavier category. If you obtain the A motorcycle licence (the heaviest category) before the age of 24, additional rules or restrictions may apply until then. You may not always ride a heavier category motorcycle immediately.
- You may take the theory exam from the age of 17
- You may take the practical exam for licence A1 from the age of 18
- You may take the practical exam for licence A2 from the age of 20
- You may take the practical exam for licence A from the age of 21
Moped driving licence
Driving licence AM is the driving licence for a moped, snorfiets, speed pedelec and to drive a brommobiel. To obtain this licence, you have to take a theory exam and a practical exam at the CBR. The theory exam is valid for all categories.
For the practical exam, you can choose to do the exam on a two-wheeled moped or in a brommobiel. If you pass the practical exam in a brommobiel, you are only allowed to drive a brommobiel afterwards. You may therefore not ride a moped, snorfiets or speed pedelec. If you pass the practical exam on a two-wheeled moped, then you are allowed to ride all vehicles in this category, including driving a brommobiel.
- You may take the theory exam from the age of 15,5
- You may take the practical exam from the age of 16
- The AM licence is included in your car driving licence
- There are seperate practical exams for brommobiel and moped